Healthy Processed Food Choices! - Mind Over Munch - Healthy Food

Facebook

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Healthy Processed Food Choices! - Mind Over Munch




Hey munchies! Hehe

I have done a few videos now sharing unhealthy processed foods or debunking healthy ones and I got so many comments saying "okay I get that these are ideal choices but what processed snacks can I have?" So today I am sharing five of my favorite healthier processed snack foods. Of course processed is never ideal. We want to make the bulk of our diet whole foods but we're human we're busy and a lot of people still depend on processed foods.

So if we can educate people about which choices or at least more appreciated by our bodies as fuel than others the better. So there are a few ways to approach this. Some people say macro friendly is better period. So how many calories, fat, etc. Some people say clean is better period. So ingredients. I think both need to be considered.

So clean is definitely important, less is more. But sometimes clean ingredients can still be dense in calories and fat and the truth is calories and fat do matter. I'm not saying we have to count our calories or tracker our macros but whether we count or not our bodies are still counting, and the fact is we only need a certain amount of calories and fat and those

numbers are going to vary based on our size, our weight, our gender, our lifestyle, our activity level, our genetic predisposition, blah blah blah blah. Also it's true if you're eating clean all the time probably you need to be less concerned if at all with macros calories etc. But guess what? If you're watching this video looking for snack ideas that probably means your diet still contains processed foods. Which is fine. I eat these snacks.

But the point is if people were to the point where they didn't need to be aware at all or concerned at all with calories and fat then they wouldn't be eating most of these foods anyway. This disclaimer is just here to let you know before someone tries to attack me which I know is inevitable because it's YouTube that these snacks were determined based on which are the best options accounting for both ingredients and macros.

Also please note that none the products shared here are sponsored all thoughts are my own. First up, popcorn. So this is one of my favorite healthy snacks. It has lots of antioxidants and fiber it's one of the only snacks that is actually one hundred percent a whole grain. It is also very low calorie and minimally processed. Now keep in mind we're not talking about popcorn that you get at the movie theater that is loaded

with butter that is doing more bad than good. I'm talking about air popped popcorn. Now I do have an air popper that i use for popping my own popcorn and I've shared that in other videos before. I love it. It's amazing. You don't need any oil but if you're gonna buy a snack popcorn is a better one to buy. The microwavable bags where you put the bag in the microwave and it you know pops up into a big poof of popcorn

those are fine but a lot of them do contain chemicals in the lining of the bag so a lot of people prefer to avoid them. I prefer to just buy the pre-popped bags that are air popped if I can't make it myself. So the pre bag options can be really great but we do need to read the labels and watch out for the claims. All of these really like to advertise 35 calories a cup. That's really great, low calorie but who only eats a cup of popcorn?

Not me. Ever. So looking at these the other thing to keep in mind the nutrition is not per cup. The nutrition is per usually 28 grams. So all these are noted to be 28 grams but one of them is noted to be 3 1/2 cups, one is 3 3/4 cups, and one is 4 cups. All grams are not created equal apparently. You might notice on certain bags that some popcorns have 4 grams of fat in a serving and some have 8.

Make sure you look at the serving size because sometimes it's the exact same brand and the popcorn flavors maybe a little bit different and one has 4 grams of fat at 28 grams per serving and one has 8 grams of fat but it's 56 grams per serving. So it's the exact same nutrition but the serving size is doubled... mystery. Ingredients are key when it comes to processed snacks. As I said earlier so we always want to take a look at that list and remember less is more.

So this brand has really nice design, looks pretty healthy, emphasizing the health claims, talking about how it has nothing but ingredients that you'll love. This one is more like you know you think about it when you go to a party or a snacky food. It's like less emphasis on the health, even though it is still saying 35 calories hundred you know percent whole grain whatever. When you read the ingredients

for these two you will find that they are exactly the same. So in the ingredients you love bag you have popcorn, sunflower oil, and sea salt and in this bag you have popcorn, vegetable oil which may be corn, canola, and or sunflower oil, and sea salt. So it's exactly the same in exactly the same order. Now one might assume that somethi

No comments:

Post a Comment